The Nashville Predators hosted the Columbus Blue Jackets last night at Bridgestone Arena hoping to continue their winning streak. Unfortunately, the Blue Jackets (who, before last night’s game had only won three games) slipped a win past the home team in OT, 4-3. There’s nothing like losing to the worst team in the Western Conference (oh heck, the whole entire league) and either the Predators took it easy on the Jackets or they just jinxed themselves somehow. Either way, the Predators at least sent the game into overtime and got a point for the game (much better than nothing at all). The Columbus Blue Jackets have not seen a win at the Bridgestone Arena since 2006- nice. Here’s some highlights of last night’s game:
- Elbows were thrown as soon as the puck dropped to start the game, with Jordin Tootoo and Derek Dorsett going at it (three seconds into the game, to be exact). Columbus and Nashville clearly aren’t fans of one another, for this wasn’t the only fight seen during this game. Here is the video in case you missed it from last night
- 59 seconds after Tootoo and Dorsett threw punches, Brian McGrattan wanted to remind fans why he’s being paid by the Predators. He and and Jared Boll squared off. Here is the video of McGrattan beating the living you-know-what out of Columbus’s Jared Boll [again, video courtesy to HockeyFights.com]:
- Derek Dorsett also tried starting a fight with Nashville’s Jack Hillen, but did not get the same result as he did with Tootoo. Dorsett did this all within 33 seconds of the game starting, earning himself 17 penalty minutes during this game.
- Colin Wilson struck gold first on the power play at 18:29 into the first period. He was assisted by recently recovered David Legwand and rookie Craig Smith.
- Columbus quickly evened the score at 3:29 into the 2nd, with Jeff Carter easily slipping it by Pekka and into the net.
- Mike Fisher scored the Predators second goal of the night at 10:27 on the PP, with assistance from Shea Weber and Ryan Suter.
- It didn’t take long for the Jackets to tie the game up once again, with Vinny Prospal lifting the puck up above Pekka to score at 12:29 on the Predators PK.
- Columbus pulled ahead at 1:45 in the 3rd with a goal from R.J. Umberger, sending both the Predators and the fans into a frenzy.
- Nick Spaling was able to send the game into overtime with a goal at 14:24 with assists from Shea Weber and Ryan Suter.
- Sadly, Pekka was screened by his own defensemen, allowing Columbus to seal the game ending goal.
- The Predators out-shot the Blue Jackets by one shot, 3o to their 29, but also faced more penalty time than the Jackets. Here’s who spent some time in the box:
- Jordin Tootoo – 0.03 1st Period – Fighting (5 minutes)
- Brian McGrattan – 1:02 1st Period – Fighting (5 minutes)
- Matt Halischuk – 1:59 1st Period – Tripping (2 minutes)
- Jack Hillen – 6:35 1st Period – Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 minutes)
- Sergei Kostitsyn – 10:31 1st Period – Hooking (2 minutes)
- Francis Bouillon – 11:21 2nd Period – Delaying the Game (2 minutes)
- Ryan Suter – 1:34 – 3rd Period – Roughing (2 minutes)
- Ryan Suter – 2:47 – 3rd Period – Hooking (2 minutes)
- And, forgotten to mention at the beginning of this post, Blake Geoffrion was scratched from last night’s game. Don’t worry, it was a healthy scratch.
The Predators finish off their homestead march by welcoming the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday, November 22nd. The Predators have already lost to the Oilers once this season in Edmonton on October 17th, but hopefully the Preds are ready to give them a dose of their own medicine in Nashville.
Although it they weren’t the greatest team to lose to, the Predators still sent the game into OT and gained a point for the game. The puck drops against Edmonton at 7CT Tuesday. GO PREDS.