The Predators returned home Saturday from a successful road trip out West, ready for familiar faces and their 1000th regular season game. Unfortunately, the Montreal Canadiens did not care what kind of “special” game this was for the Predators and spoiled the celebration by winning 2-1 in OT. Although the Habs are an Eastern Conference team, the loss still was hard, especially on such an important, historical night for the franchise (the one point helped, though). Here are the highlights:
- Nick Spaling returned from Injured Reserve and scheduled some ice time. He was placed on IR after an incident with Anaheim back on October 29th.
- David Legwand, Brian McGrattan, and Teemu Laasko were all three scratched for the night, with Leggy recovering from an injury sustained during the game against the L.A. Kings. Since this was the 1000th game (and he’s been around since practically the get-go), Leggy was present during the presentation of former Predators players and staff.
- The Canadiens drew first blood in 13:49 of the 1st with a goal by David Desharnals who, unlike other teams, tricked Pekka Rinne and scored.
- Captain Shea Weber scored the only goal of the night 3:20 into the 2nd with assists from both Ryan Suter and newly recovered Nick Spaling. This was Weber’s second goal of the season.
- Because the Habs are in the Eastern Conference, two relative players rarely get to play one another. Unfortunately, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei’s older brother who plays for the Habs, was scratched during Saturday’s game. Sergei was actually acquired from the Canadiens in June of 2010. Maybe next go round, eh?
- Neither Preds nor Habs were able to score during the third, sending the game into OT. Unfortunately for the sold out Nashville crowd, Montreal’s Max Pacioretty scored 2:31 into overtime, giving the Habs the overall win.
- The Predators did come out winners in both shots and penalties tonight with the Predators shooting 26 to the Habs’ 25. The Predators only had four penalties compared to Montreal’s 5, also. Here are the penalties on the Preds:
- Jerred Smithson – 5:09 1st Period – Holding
- Matt Halischuk – 2:01 2nd Period – Tripping
- Jerred Smithson – 10:54 2nd Period – Tripping
- Jordin Tootoo – 20:00 2nd Period – Cross Checking